Welcome to the NORCAT Underground Centre
The NORCAT Underground Centre provides clients with a range of training and prototype development opportunities that are not available elsewhere in Canada. The former Falconbridge Fecunis Adit Mine in Onaping, Ontario serves as the perfect location for NORCAT’s 4-week Common Core Training program and for product testing in an actual underground environment.
The layout is ideal for equipment and vehicles, accessible from two surface level entrances (Adits) in the side of the landscape, as opposed to drilling down into the earth. Higher elevations in the mine provide natural ventilation and drainage, with no need for water pumps or hoists.
The Underground Centre has been used for promotional photography of mining tools, equipment and machinery in an underground environment, as well as a filming location for TV and music videos.
The NORCAT Underground Centre
- Permits equipment testing without interrupting mine production
- Promotes cost effectiveness through a fee-for-service operating facility
- Provides an easy access, controlled underground setting
- Provides private workshops and storage facilities
- Provides natural or forced air ventilation
- Fosters customized mine training programs
- Advances comprehensive mine rescue training programs
- Facilitates the development of customized training videos and computer-based training resource materials
- Facilitates equipment testing and prototype development
NORCAT Mine Products
The mine has developed a number of devices to be used for special mine applications. The Mine will work with equipment suppliers to make and distribute these devices.
There is no facility in Canada that can compare with the present facility; the projects and activities planned for the future should move this facility and the NORCAT profile steadily and strongly forward. The NORCAT Green Mine plan, we believe, has quite significant potential for new projects and increased profit for both NORCAT and the SME supply services companies.