Underground Training Centre
The NORCAT Underground Centre provides clients with a range of hands-on training programs that are not available elsewhere in Canada. The former Falconbridge Fecunis Adit Mine in Onaping, Ontario serves as the perfect location for NORCAT’s four-week Common Core Training program and a range of specially customized programs.
The layout is ideal for equipment and vehicles, accessible from two surface level entrances (Adits) in the side of the landscape, as opposed to drilling down into the earth. Higher elevations in the mine provide natural ventilation and drainage, with no need for water pumps or hoists.
The Underground Training Centre can also be utilized by companies wishing to use the facilities for specialized or proprietary training. Our team of experienced trainers will work with you to help design and/or deliver your programs as required.
The NORCAT Underground Centre has been used for promotional photography of mining tools, equipment and machinery in an underground environment, as well as a filming location for TV and music videos.
NORCAT Mine Products
The mine has developed a number of devices to be used for special mine applications. The Mine will work with equipment suppliers to make and distribute these devices.
There is no facility in Canada that can compare with the present facility; the projects and activities planned for the future should move this facility and the NORCAT profile steadily and strongly forward. The NORCAT Green Mine plan, we believe, has quite significant potential for new projects and increased profit for both NORCAT and the SME supply services companies.
Download Map to NORCAT Underground Centre.
Technology Testing Centre
The Innovation Mill is the only regional innovation centre in North America with a fully referenceable operating mine that provides both startup ventures and multi-national companies with the resources, infrastructure, expertise, and equipment required to design, prototype and test their equipment in an underground operating mine environment.
Our nearly 3km of underground drifts provides secure areas to test and develop technologies and our 5,000 square foot surface facility provides state-of-the-art meeting rooms, food service, common areas, drys, and short-term / long-term residency opportunities in our incubator / offices for both startup and larger companies.
Our Services, Resources, and Facilities
- “One-stop shop” referenceable operating mine for product design, prototyping, and testing
- Support resources with skills and expertise in research, technical design, engineering, mining, and product development
- Access to 3D printing, CNC machining, EMC testing, injection molding, and electronics design and development facilities and subject matter experts
- Co-location working space with month-to-month flexible license agreements or longer term residency options including dedicated office space and amenities
- State-of-the-art technology and infrastructure including meeting / workshop rooms, inter-active white boards, video conference infrastructure, VOIP phones, wifi, and storage facilities
- Full service kitchenette and reception facilities, common areas, men and women drys, on-site state-of-the-art health and safety facilities and expertise
- Health and safety orientation programs to ensure appropriate credentials to work and test technology in an underground environment
- Proximal access to NORCAT mentors, networks, and resources
As part of our mandate, NORCAT has also partnered with an array of startup and multi-national companies to create a showcase mining site, incorporating leading-edge mining-related technologies.
Video by Penguin Automated Systems Inc.
Click a thumbnail below to view a 360° panoramic.